Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th, Freedom, and Fireworks


You may be wondering what pictures of homes have to do with the 4th of July, but to me walking down the street and seeing all these beautiful Eastern homes with their flags posted is quintessential America. These are all homes along the path we walk the kids to school so it will be fun in the future to look back and remember. And, if I just happened to have a million dollars (or two) lying around I would snatch up that white house quick as a flash.




Okay, so this house doesn't have a flag, but it's cute and the blue color reminds me of the home I grew up in that went from yellow to this blue.
Miss Jane wanting in on all the BBQ'd goods
The fixins
This bridge is on the kids school property and I couldn't help but make them pose for a quick picture...or two.


It was one of the most humid and hot days we've had so the kids enjoyed a lemon Italian ice. I wouldn't let them have any other flavor because they had just all be cleaned up and dressed so I wasn't going to let red snow cone ruin them right out the door :)


Our handsome boy. On a side note, Ethan's feet are now just as big as mine and he's 8! How did that happen?!?
Brayton School is where both Ethan and Anna will attend this Fall. Finally having them at one school will be so nice for me.
Just past the school is Memorial Field and baseball diamonds. They kids loved running around and getting their energy out before the fireworks. There was a beach boys type band that played for awhile and I really think music is what makes the holiday.
what

Watching the firework show Jane initially let out a scream and I realized this was really her first year with fireworks. Last year she was soundly asleep in bed and missed the whole thing. Last year this exact weekend I had just had hernia surgery, we were showing our house looking for a renter, and knew that in exactly 4 weeks we would be getting on a jet plane to come to New Jersey. The times has quickly passed and I'm sure glad it's this year and not last.

The City of Summit put on an amazing show. The fireworks lasted about 30 minutes and we were as close as I've ever been. Almost too close. The booms and blasts sounded like we were in a war zone.

Admittedly I think I missed Utah the most on the 4th than I have since we left. 4th of July is my favorite holiday with Thanksgiving and it's hard to move and have to start all of your traditions over again. I missed the balloons and the parade and going out to breakfast and the stadium of fire fireworks and BBQ's with family. Things were pretty low key around here and in the stores there was NO 4th decor or anything like that. It's also very illegal to set off any kind of fireworks of your own so there were no snap its, ground flowers, or sparklers. While I get that it's dangerous and I appreciate that, I missed driving down the streets and admiring the fireworks in each individual drive way. I was kind of waiting for that "Sandlot" nostalgia of 4th of July and it was a near miss. I think that's why I'm realizing that it will be nice to soon settle down and start traditions that we know can last.

1 comment:

  1. Fun pictures! I thought of you over the weekend w/ all the festivities going on around here. I'm glad you had a good 4th, but I'm sorry it wasn't all you wanted it to be. On a side note, I watched a movie this week based in Atlanta and I couldn't get over how beautiful it is there! Hopefully they'll allow fireworks and things so your next 4th of July will be more the way you'd like it to be. :)

    ReplyDelete