Sunday, September 9, 2012

Broken Bone(s)

 Tuesday night Ethan had a late football game, so I decided to stay home and get the girls to bed.  At one point in the night I called Rand at the game to tell him that Kate had fallen off our bed and wouldn't stop crying and her arm was limp from the shoulder down, and I was worried it was broken.  Thankfully just a bit later I called him back to say it had been a false alarm and she was fine.

You can imagine my surprise when about 15 minutes later Rand called to tell me Ethan had broken his arm.  I asked how he knew for sure and he said you could tell by looking at it.  I knew that couldn't be good.
 Rand rushed home to grab the insurance card and Ethan looked like he was going into shock and I was a bit worried.  I initially thought I would stay home with the girls now asleep in bed, knowing there was really nothing I could do.  After a few minutes I was going crazy, and knew I couldn't just stay at home and wait, especially if he ended up needing surgery, so I asked one friend to sit with the kids and another to take me up to the ER.
 (These pictures don't really do it justice on how "wonky" it really looked)  Thankfully they got him right in and my Father in law came in just before me to help Randall give Ethan a priesthood blessing.
 I couldn't believe what a champ Ethan was.  By the time I arrived he was no longer crying and was talking and still.  He was hurting pretty badly and it wasn't long before they gave him an IV and administered him some morphine.  The nurse had a hard time getting the vein to accept the needle because apparently veins clamp down when you go into shock as Ethan had.  Ethan didn't cry on the initial poke, nor as she fished around waiting for the needle to go into the vein.  Randall had to step out of the room at this point since he does not do well with needles and blood so I was glad that I was there.

I guess a boy on the opposite team kept playing really rough and threw Ethan down and Ethan tried to brace himself and it broke the radius and ulna a few inches above the wrist, thankfully missing the wrist and growth plates.  The break was really bad on the x-rays but at least we were able to avoid surgery.  They did have to heavily sedate him and have an orthopedist set it.  Ethan did well during the sedation, but was still fighting the staff quite a bit.  They asked us to stand outside the room while they set it and it was funny to hear them saying things like "settle down cowboy".  Apprently he was kicking pretty hard and the staff said next time they would think to remove his  football cleats  before the procedure :)

When he came out of the sedation, that was the worst part.  He was shaking so badly but wasn't cold and was thrashing around a lot.  He kept wanting to sit up and they kept asking him to lie down.  Finally he yelled out that his nose itched, and once they let him itch his nose he calmed right down.  That became quite the joke that if his nose itched, by golly, let him itch it!
This was about 1:30 am leaving the ER- he was in amazingly good spirits
 While we waited in the ER for radiology and the various things Randall took Ethan's mind off his arm by telling him all about The Hobbit, a family favorite on the Wilson side.  Ethan was so excited about it and kept asking for Rand to tell him more.  Grandpa and Grandma Wilson brought him the hobbit to read and he's really excited about it.
 After the game his coaches and some of the players came to see him.  Ethan is sad that he is missing the rest of the season, especially since they haven't lost yet, and will probably go to the championship.
Family and friends have been so sweet to bring by books, and treats and things to make him feel thought of.  His coach (ex-NFL Scott Mitchell) came by again the other night to check on him and bring him a basket of goodies.  Coaches wife has felt terrible and has been sweet to call almost daily to check up on him.

Ethan missed two days of school needing to keep it elevated and iced but he went back Friday and is doing great.  All in all we are really proud of him and how tough he has been through all of this.  Sadly the thing that has bothered him most about all this is the fact that the boy who threw him down "never even apologized"!  We go back to the orthopedist on Wednesday to re-xray and cast if all is looking good.  Hopefully in 6 weeks he'll be as good as new.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, just looking at those pictures makes me queasy. Poor kid! Hope he's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy. I am glad that he has got lots of love and that his coach has been so great through it all too! That is really sweet! Now hopefully you can convince the girls that breaking bones is not worth all the treats and goodies that people bring you :) Good luck with the cast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting us sign your cast, Buddy. We hope it heals 100% straight. Take it easy! We think you are really brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement
      Can I know more about you

      Delete