Monday, May 28, 2012

Hotdogs and Watermelon

 While some say Memorial Day is all about hot dogs and watermelon, I know it's much more than that.  It's remembering and celebrating those who have given their lives in military service so that we can continue to enjoy our many, many freedoms.
 Today I also can't help but think of others that we knew well in this life and have passed on, and there are many.  Friends, grandparents, uncles, cousins, children of friends.  It's certainly a day of tender feelings, and I'm grateful for a special day to remember them.
 Today our ward hosted a BBQ as they traditionally do each year.  It was held at Soldier's Memorial Field in Summit.  Rather fitting I think.  We started off having our Cub Scouts do a flag ceremony.  There is Ethan above taking his duty very seriously.  It was a sweet thing to watch those boys parade around the crowd, flags waving to music in the background before posting the colors.  We then recited the pledge of Allegiance, and then sang together with hands over hearts "The Star Spangled Banner".  I'm a sucker for all things patriotic and it's almost impossible for me not to have tears in my eyes at the beginning of every parade as the flag comes down the route or we sing the Star Spangled Banner.  My friend Michelle and I sang that song at Randall's MBA graduation and I will never forget that.  The flag ceremony was a nice addition to the day.

 There was also a Bake Sale put on by our YW and a lemonade stand run by our Cub Scouts to raise funds for their various camps this Summer.  Of course we took good advantage of both.  Thankfully this cupcake just had whip cream on top, and not a huge chunk of frosting.
 Jane licked about half of it off and then was done with it altogether.

Anna and Jane holding hands, so cute

 The woman in blue and expecting (Jill) and the other woman in Orange (Heidi) are the counselor and president I have been serving with in the Relief Society here.  I love them dearly and my heart aches to be released from this calling.  I have learned a lot from both of them.  Heidi is an extremely kind and charitable person.  She is also very hands off and initially that scared me to death.  I thought "what do I do?"  She just had confidence I could do it and that I would and so I did. She didn't know me at all when I was called, but felt inspired to do so, and I'm so glad she did.  It has been a wonderful blessing to serve here.
 Kate heard in Primary yesterday that there would be a water fight today.  She was counting down the hours to "get wet" and that's exactly what she did, although I think only by her own doing.  She would fill cup after cup and pour it on her self until she was dripping and happy as can be.
Some ward members

Jane tired and hungry (and cute I might add)

Kate, pre "water-fight"


The rest of our day was not at all restful.  We took everything off the walls, washed speckled and  painted. We packed up all the "decor", and then just a few other boxes of misc things we knew we wouldn't need before the move.  There is so much going on the last week or so of school that I feel like I need to do things that I can or I will suddenly being panicked.

As we took the things off the walls, it hit me that this move is for real.  I'm getting more and more excited,  about being near family and our 4th of July traditions of the hot air balloon launch, breakfast out,  the parade (if we can get a seat!) BBQ's with family, and watching the fireworks.  The end of July we have a Barrett family reunion with all my siblings and their children at Aspen Grove and I've heard it's an amazing.  I just can't help but feel sad as we close this short but big chapter of our lives.  New Jersey has molded us and changed us for good, and for bad.  I'm more impatient than ever but I'm also a stronger more confident person. I guess when we get back to Utah we will just build upon that.  I can't wait to see what that chapter holds.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful memorial day! I am the same as you with tearing up at the Star Spangled Banner and the pledge. Without fail, I always get teary, no matter where we are. I am glad you have so much to look forward too with coming back here in time for the 4th of July!

    Good luck with all the packing and all that goes a long with that and I know this will be a wonderful chapter in your life book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved this chapter in my book that has had you in it!!! You just best remain in many paragraphs that have yet to be written. I plan on filling a book on texts alone. Don't let me down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ward really does do some fun activities. It looked about like the 4th of July. Hey, you will be here for that celebration! We are excited. Have the real-estate agents work around YOUR schedule. I think that is fair.

    ReplyDelete