Saturday, May 5, 2012

Darling Daughter?

It's no secret that one of our daughters can be a "handful?"  Ok, we all know it's Anna.  I love her.  She can be such a sweetie pie.  She is very nurturing and thoughtful, but boy is she also just plain hard. She;s been hard from the beginning.  I often ask myself what I did differently with her in my pregnancy just sure it's my fault, since she just came that way so different from the others.

This morning I am just so frustrated with her.  She is just not a happy child, almost ever.  She just chooses to be miserable the majority of her life.  I've been talking to her a lot about that recently that happiness is a choice.  I know that there are extenuating circumstances, but she's 7 and has a good life.  This morning at breakfast she announced that "she doesn't like life".  I was like "what?"  Just because I wanted to be sure that's what she had said and what she meant.  So yes continued to say that yes, in fact she doesn't life like and it's because hers is so terrible.  I immediately just said "go to your room".  I was so mad and sad at the same time.  I don't know how to teach her to see the good.

 A few weeks ago at dinner I was asking them what the best part of their day was.  I asked Ethan and of course he had something happy and positive to say.  I went on to Anna and again asked "Anna, what was the best part of your day?"  She said "well, the worst part was ..."  OK.  I didn't ask her what the worst part was but she skipped right past the good and went for the worst.  The cup is definitely half empty with her.

Anna has some great strengths and talents.  She loves babies.  She adores Jane and wishes she could be her mother.  I often have to remind Anna that I am the mother.  She has taken it upon herself to be Kate's teacher.  Anna has literally worked for hours and hours writing out "lesson plans".   She sits down with Kate and has been teaching her about vowels, non fiction, whatever it is that week.

...Anna just came in and we had a talk and she said "being a kid is just hard".  I tried to emphasize and told her that's true but it's also supposed to be one of the best parts of life.  I told her to try to see the good. I asked her to list some of the good things yesterday, she said "pizza at school, centers, the monkey bars, that's it".  I said to her what about these things like a package from grandma with treats inside, dinner out last night, and a new movie for them to watch and much needed new shoes tomorrow.  Her response was "well the movie was just rented".  Aarg  see what I'm working with here?  Apparently the movie isn't good enough unless we buy it.

We've been really encouraging her to say her personal prayers and teaching that you can pray anytime anywhere she needs.  She hasn't been too keen on the idea.  I told her that it's these exact things she can include in her prayers.  Things like the girls at school will be nice, she can be happy etc.

That girl worries me, they all worry me for one reason another.  I had no idea being a parent would be so hard.  I just thought as long as they were fed and clothed we were good.

Rands been gone 8 days and I've hardly slept the last 3 nights because Jane has started crying in the night, and Kate's had a fever of 103 for the last 3 days.  I'm sure I'm just tired and all will be well when I get a little more sleep soon.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I know a little of what you're talking about. My boy child (not naming names- ha!) gets in these ruts where he is just constantly unhappy and picked on. He could have the best day ever. He could have candy and ice cream for every meal, get a new toy, play with friends all day, go to Disneyland, and then find the bad in it all. Sometimes I whip out the old, "you think your life is bad, how 'bout I send you to live in an orphanage" lecture. Doesn't work. Anyway, I don't really have any pearls of wisdom, just sympathy. Lets hope these mini-adults learn to see the beauty in life as they grow older, and can look back on their horrible childhoods with at least a morsel of fondness.

    Hang in there, mama, you're doin' great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you friend. Being a mom is hard hard work and most of the time I'm stressed about the decisions I make. Hubby's gone is the pits as well. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to read about your stress. Being a parent is really challenging. I hate to tell you, but, the older they get, the bigger the challenges. Try to do as you want Anna to do and find things to be happy about with each day and each child. It really is helpful. You find what you look for. Hope things are better now that Randall is home to help. Get some rest!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that you haven't been sleeping. Life is so much harder to handle when you are exhausted! I am glad randall is home now and hopefully you can get some rest. I think what you are doing to help anna is perfect...help her think of things that are good in her life and when you send her to time out, make her make a list of 20 things she is thankful for before she can come out haha good luck. It is hard having a harder child. My #2 is my toughy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry things have been rough! Glad to hear Randall is back in town - hopefully that means you've at least gotten some sleep! And I feel for you with Anna. Bryan has been particularly negative lately and it's been driving me crazy. I'm not ready for such attitudes just yet! I agree that you're doing a great job in helping her recognize the good things, though. Hang in there! Maybe she'll grow out of it - get it out of her system - and be an angel of a teenager. :)

    ReplyDelete