Saturday, April 21, 2012

Jane's Birthday

We just opened presents to celebrate Jane turning 2.  I can't help but remember back 2 years ago this morning.  I was on my way to a dr.'s appt, just 2 days from my due date.  I had been having what I thought was contractions all through the 2 nights before. (wow, that's a lot of 2's)  I was so hoping to go to my appointment to have him tell me I was making great process and I would go into labor on my own in a few days.  Sadly that was not the case.

The good old doc checked me and I was zero and zero.  Not what you want to hear just 2 days from your due date.  I wasn't quite ready to have this baby and said so.  Randall said otherwise.  He said I had been miserable and "we" should just be induced if we could be.  The dr. said we could and I still didn't want to be.  The Dr. then excused himself so Randall and I could have a little chat.  See, the thing is I have always been induced.  every.single.time.  And though I know nothing different I have always wanted to just "go on my own" if you will.  I had even read a hypnobirthing book, been listening to hynobirthing CD's to prepare myself for a natural birth, and though I didn't have my heart set on a natural birth I still didn't want to be induced.  I'm also someone who although I'm 9 months pregnant and not exactly comfortable at night, at least I can get up and go to the bathroom and go back to sleep.  Once the baby comes who knows if you will sleep at all in the night.

After some discussion mostly on Randall's part the doctor came back in.  I asked him what he thought was going to happen.  He said with my history and the "progress" I hadn't made it was a pretty high chance I would come back a week overdue and still be zero and zero.  That finally clinched it.  I would be induced, today, April 21, 2010.

That was a weird feeling.  It's always a weird feeling knowing today you will meet your baby.  The day you have waited for and hoped for and want so badly to come, and suddenly in a matter of minutes it's decided, today's the big day.

I still remember that happening with Ethan.  I went for a check 2 days past my date and was not even "ripe" or close to it.  It was decided I would be induced because at that point I wanted that baby out, NOW!  I didn't know what those endless sleepless nights felt like, and I was huge I might add, HUGE!  Even though I wanted him out, I was somewhat shocked when the doc said, ok, go over to the hospital.  I thought that meant ya know sometime today, but it meant, like right now.  I didn't even have my hospital bag with me.  I remember getting in the elevator to make the short trek to the hospital when I suddenly thought, "what have I done?".  Long story short Ethan's labor and birth were LONG and excruciating, and I honestly thought at one point I was going to die.  I have never worked that hard for something in. my. life.   It was worth it when a beautiful BIG 9lb. 5 oz. boy was hoisted, yes hoisted up onto my tummy.  He had so much blonde hair and bright blue eyes.  I was so exhausted I could hardly hold my head up to look at him, but I was thrilled he was finally OUT.

Anyway,  on that cozy, dark and rainy spring morning as we drove to the hospital I decided that on a day like that, there was no better day than to stay indoors and have a baby, and that's exactly what I did.  It was the best labor and birth experience yet.  Jane has been nothing but sweet and sunshine.  I adore her, as I do all my children.  It's fun to think back to those special baby meeting days, but for now I'm happy to celebrate her turning 2 today.

3 comments:

  1. I still remember that day so well and checking my phone constantly hoping for updates. I can't believe it was 2 years ago!!! She has always had the sweetest spirit about her and is such a doll. happy birthday to jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember that day so well and checking my phone constantly hoping for updates. I can't believe it was 2 years ago!!! She has always had the sweetest spirit about her and is such a doll. happy birthday to jane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that day also. I was so happy you had such a good labor and delivery. Much, much, better. We are so happy to have Jane in your family. We look forward to spending time together in July to get to know her in real time.

    ReplyDelete