Thursday, October 28, 2010

They're coming...

They're coming...The holidays I mean. Randall is already a tad tired of me freaking out and saying I'm feeling overwhelmed. This time last year I had all my lists made and even most of my Christmas shopping done. Now that we don't have TV the kids haven't mentioned anything they want even once. Maybe because without TV not only do they not see advertisements but don't realize what time of year it is. Especially since the weather here has been gorgeous. It's been in the 70's all week and sunny and beautiful with a little rain here and there to keep it cozy. I'm loving it. The colors on the trees and bushes are almost to their peak. The reds and yellows and pink are so much more vivid than any I've ever seen. Even Randall in his state of color blindedness can see a change in the leaves. One of my favorite sites is to look out the window and watch the leaves falling from the trees like snowflakes, and leaves billowing up in bunches behind a passing car.

My expectations for the holidays this year are even bigger than ever, which is a problem. I have learned in the last few years that the lower my expectations the happier everyone is in the end. I think this year though knowing we are on our own, away from family I feel like all the responsibility falls directly on my shoulders to make sure our children have the most fantastic memories and traditions ever. The last 4 years we have had family all around us, and that helped fill the bulk of time and our holiday traditions were already set. The thought of choosing and starting our very own family's traditions is exciting but also very daunting. I like to place a fair amount of blame for my desire for all this fabulous and magical on miss Tasha Tutor. Do you know who she is? When I was a little girl my mother would read to me out of a book of hers that was beautifully illustrated month by month encompassing all the holidays. she wrtoe of all the amazing and sweet traditions that would take place. Things like pressing apples for home made apple cider, and sleeping in the barn with the cousins with so much family in town for Thanksgiving. Doesn't that sound magical? I pulled out that book the other day just to check up on Halloween festivities. I can't find it now and I can only think that Randall has hidden it. I mean who doesn't want to celebrate their birthday with their birthday cake floating down a stream with candles all a light? Me, me! Ok, so I know that sort of thing isn't practical but I sure wish it were. For now I need to just try to take a deep breath and a huge spoonful of reality and realize that if things don't come out to be as I dream them up in my head, my children will be no the wiser and my husband that much happier.

What are some of your holiday traditions?

Read about Tasha Tudor HERE

2 comments:

  1. Where have I been...how did I not know you didn't have tv! Good for you!!!! But seriously, there really haven't been very many commercial for "cool" kid things. I don't know the last time there was a commercial for something legitimate..its always the weird infomercial toys. I think I have my list somewhat figured out...camryn is getting basically nothing :) I got her beauty and the beast and I will get her a little toy but she is easy. For Bren, I am going to get a glider bike, E really wants rollerskates and Ty is the one that I don't know about yet but as of right now, he wants more bakugan.

    As far as traditions go...keep them very simple..pick like 2 things that you want as traditions and then have lots of other "fun" activities and you will be able to tweek your traditions as you go. There are tons of fun things to do but your kids will remember the very basic, simple 1 or 2 things you did each holiday. That is my advice...good luck with everything holiday related! Just remember that with the insane 6 months you have just had, simple and basic is best!!! love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how much you love holidays! :) It seems like you've already started fun traditions, haven't you? You're always doing such fun things with your kids! I remember doing the "12 days of Christmas" thing for families in our ward when I was little, and we had so much fun being sneaky and leaving things... We have our favorite foods and treats we always eat, and we always have a special spiritual Christmas Eve program before opening pajamas or slippers or something. I'm excited to hear what you come up with. I'm sure it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete