Monday, November 1, 2010

Our Halloween night(s)

We enjoyed Halloween this year. All three days of it. First of course was Friday where the kids had parties at school and got to dress up. Then Saturday we did a little trick or treating to some families in our ward trying to decide whether or not to go on Sunday. Then Sunday we decided to go out and had a fabulous time. It was truly magical. It was a beautiful night, chilly but not too cold. The leaves were absolutely thick all over the ground. Crunch, crunch, crunch from house to house. We chose a beautiful tree lined street near Ethan's school that has beautiful colonial home on it. People were so friendly and welcoming, with neighbor's calling out "Happy Halloween" at each home. At one of the homes they had set up a bonfire out front while they passed out candy. It made the air smell so good reminding me of my childhood home and our own wood burning fireplace. We would sit by the fire until we couldn't stand the heat any longer and then lie on the floor to smash the into our backs even more. I love the crackle and pop of an actual fire. Last year and this year created fabulous memories for me and hopefully for the kids. It felt so nostalgic and created the picture in my head I would dream about. For an hour of two the world feels like it did when I was a little girl. Safe, and secure with all the neighbors out in costume. There were many many people out and we really enjoyed it. Anna got tired of all of the excitement fairly quickly, but Kate could have gone all night. She ran from house to house yelling trick or treat and Happy Halloween. One of my favorite moments of the evening was when she ran up to Rand and grabbed his hand and looking up and said "Happy Halloween Dad!"



I had to throw this picture in. This is a view of Manhattan from the hospital behind us. I can't believe how close we really are.

Anna/Ariel without her glasses.
Initially Anna didn't want to wear her glasses because then she wouldn't truly look like Ariel, but finally decided that she couldn't see without them and better wear them after all. I think that was a good choice.
Jane waiting patiently...as usual. She is still as sweet as ever and we love her to pieces!
Ethan in his class parade.
The kids anxious to get out there and get some candy!
Anna in her class parade.
Anna was so excited to be Ariel and loved that she got to wear make up. She was sure she wouldn't look like Ariel without it :)
Darth Vader!
Looks scared doesn't she?

She was lagging behind and so I was able to get some cute pics of her.
One of my favorite homes on our route, so cozy with the windows all lit up.
Miss Jane was a puppy dog with a brown nose. Everyone though she was pretty cute but more importantly she stayed warm.
Checking out all the loot. I made shepherd's pie for dinner. I think I will make that tradition. It is hearty and healthy and then I don't feel so bad about the kids eating so much candy.
Running from house to house

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - it just made me so jealous! The kiddos looked DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute costumes. Anna looks so much older already, especially without her glasses. Those houses in the neighborhood are so charming. We miss you guys. I wish we could visit sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one word for you...PERFECT! it sounds like that your halloween night(s) were perfect in every way and I am so happy! My favorite halloween memories are from NJ too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I loved seeing your kids in their costumes, and your night sounds like it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete