Monday, November 29, 2010

Lesson Learned

Almost everyday that Ethan gets in the car from school there is something he's unhappy about. One day it was the fact that he has blonde hair and wants dark hair "like everybody else". Another afternoon it was that he didn't like his name, "Why couldn't you name me something cool like Robbie, Charlie, or Isaac?" Today when he got in the car he went on and on about how his shoes are a piece of junk and falling a part and how much he hates them.

Now, some parents may just completely ignore their child, other appease them, I on the other hand for whatever reason try to ignore for a while, but usually end up giving some lecture. I know I shouldn't, but I do, and I often take it a little too far. When he was complaining about his hair color I got so tired of hearing about it and initially trying to be nice, that I finally told him about the Jews in Germany who were killed because they didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes.(see what I mean but taking it a tad too far...) Today I was trying to ignore the many comments coming from the back seat. Ethan kept going on and on about how he needed new shoes etc. I told him that he better save up his money if he wanted new shoes. New shoes are expensive and his shoes are not falling apart but showing signs of normal wear and tear. I told him that if he hated his shoes so much I would be happy to take them away and he could wear his "Sunday" shoes everyday to school. He was not too happy about that option. I was about to tell him I would go halves on a new pair of shoes when I realized how ridiculous that was. His shoes are fine and he is not showing any gratitude for what he has, especially when a lot of kids have a lot less than brand new Skechers that light up. So I came up with what I thought was a pretty good option. I told him I would be happy to take him to Good Will and he could pick a pair out there. He asked me what that was and I told him a second hand store and suddenly he was more than happy to keep his shoes. Lesson learned...well, at least until after school tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I tell my kids that since their lives are so horrible, we can take them to the orphanage and they can get new parents. Do you think I should stop doing that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2nd grade is hard. They are definitely figuring out all the social status stuff as well. He will get over it and realize how blessed he really is. You are such a good mom though...giving him options about earning new shoes, or going in halves, or going to the salvation army...seriously, I need to borrow your brain!

    ReplyDelete