Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Walk

On Friday night we went on a "Christmas Walk" in the neighboring town of New Providence. It was a really charming walk down the Main street with all the little Mom n' Pop shops. Many of the shops were giving out free things like hot pretzels, cookies, candy canes, balloons etc. At the end of the street was an old Presbyterian church that was so charming. They had a live nativity and then had the animals in little corrals that the kids could see and pet. They also handed out hot cider and cookies. After out little walk Santa Claus came riding in the book of a fire truck. He rode up and down and then rode down the street followed by the town's high school marching band. It was so fun! The kids had a great time and it just felt very small town. We like the city where we live but it what we like to call "wine and cheese" and this little town felt a little more small hometown. We met up with two other families that have kids our age and that always it more fun.

I'm trying to be a little more go with the flow. In the "olden days" I would think that that the kids were tired and it's too late. It was a fun thing to do and possibly a new tradition. I think that the time spent together and the traditions that we do will mean so much more in the long run than any gifts the kids will open on Christmas. It was a fun night and I'm really glad we went.Isn't it cute with the lighted wreaths on the street lamps and the luminaries!?
Kate eating some of the free goods.

Ethan up on the fence to get a better look of Santa and the band.


Don't mind me and my no make-up and hat. We were tired from all our Thanksgiving festivities the day before.
The church doors. I loved the wreaths.

3 comments:

  1. Another fun post! Sounds like it was so much fun on your "Christmas Walk." You are creating some wonderful memories with your family. Happy Christmastime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE doing these kinds of things in the Christmas Season - makes it feel more "real".

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! What a great tradition!! I love NJ and the "small town" feel. You are so right on about the kids remembering the traditions more than Christmas morning. I honestly barely remember Christmas mornings when I was young, but I still remember one of my favorite christmas things we ever did in NJ was to go pick and cut down our own Christmas tree at a tree farm. I don't know why that stands out, but it always has. Your kids are going to love their thanksgiving weekend forever!!! You are such a great mom to give them so many awesome opportunities!

    ReplyDelete