Tuesday, August 23, 2011

33 and UB40

Today I turned 33. It was a good day, basically because I had fairly low expectations. That may sound bad, and it's not because my family does a poor job of making me feel special but I've found the advice I received a few years ago about having low expectations in regard to holidays was some of the best advice I've ever received. Do I always follow this adivce? No, but when I do, it makes me and my family I'm afraid much, much happier.

Let me explain. In my head I want every holiday, birthday, anniversary to be amazing, wonderful and overflowing with a lifetime of memories. The reality is that most days are just typical and that's OK. Today for instance was a good day. Randall got up and made me a special breakfast and when I was cleaning bathrooms after breakfast he scolded me and told me to stop that, and that he would finish cleaning the bathrooms. I received some nice gifts and although none of them were surprises, that's OK. That way I know they are things I really want. After breakfast I somewhat lazily got ready and then I took Anna and Kate for their annual eye exams so they would be ready for school if they needed changes. That, and Anna's glasses were recently run over or something so we had no choice but buy new. Anyway, 2 and a half hours later we were done at the Dr. Then we came home, made lunch and got Jane down for a nap. Then I drove Anna out to a target optical to get her fit for glasses. By the time we got home I was able to have a little down time and then I went and picked up a sitter so Rand and I and some friends could go to dinner.

We went to Cheesecake Factory and it was yummy! We usually like to eat ethnic and at non chain restaurants, but I was just in the mood for something you just know you're going to love, and we did. I got the Bang Bang chicken and shrimp in a Thai coconut curry sauce and hello it was delish. Then just to top things off I ordered a layered chocolate cake and Randall got a slice of Godiva chocolate cheesecake and both were to die for. Cant you tell we like chocolate? I felt sick after all was said and done and I didn't even eat half of the slice of cake. I have to admit that every once in a while I'm a strong believer in eating until you just don't want to see another dessert for a month. In fact during dinner a friend texted saying to leave room for dessert tomorrow night and it made me sick. I told her I'd rather talk a walk through Home Goods :) I think I'm desserted out for awhile and that's saying something.

So my day was good. I had several calls and texts and face-book birthday wishes. Was it over the top exciting and fantastic? Not really but that's OK. I feel loved and celebrated and that's what matters. I have to admit, that one of the highlights of my day was on the way home from dropping off the baby sitter. It has been an absolutely beautiful last two days. Temperatures in the 70's and crisp and cool in the evening and mornings. We even slept with our windows open last night and had to use a blanket and it was fantastic. I can just smell Fall around the corner and that makes me giddy. So, as I drove home I put down all the windows and turned on the radio and low and behold the song "Wise men say, only fool rush in" by UB40 came on, and I was was immediately taken back to the good old high school days of stag dances. Now you can make fun all you want, but I cranked the music up super loud, and drove around town until the song ended singing at the top of my lungs. It felt so good and boy did I feel young again. Not a bad day in my book, not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a pretty perfect birthday in my mind. I am always about low expectations because I am rarely disappointed :) I am glad you got to go out with friends and enjoy the cheesecake factory, can't go wrong with that. I am sorry about the eye appointments though, I got to do that last year on my birthday with easton. happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Ash. Seize the moment. Sounds like going with the flow made a great day.

    ReplyDelete