Monday, March 21, 2011

A new craving

Usually when we speak of a craving we are talking about food. Well, when I'm talking about a craving it almost always involves food, although I have been known to crave a rabbit, and a bird. Not to eat mind you but to own as a pet. Thankfully those "cravings" were fleeting, because I really have no desire right now for a pet. We had a fire belly toad for a short time and after finding live crickets somehow all over my house, the pet was given a new and much better home. Anyway... Recently my craving has been to write my own history and read the history of others. For some time I have thought about writing my own personal history but when I think back I fee like the memories of my childhood are fleeting. Which means I should probably write some things down while I still remember something. My Grandma Barrett wrote about her life and some of my ancestors before she passed away. I remember the forward she wrote when she gave us that book of memories for Christmas many years ago. She wrote something about how maybe we wouldn't care and were possibly not very excited about her gift, but I find myself now really wanting to read again all those stories of many years and lives ago. My Grandma Christensen also wrote her life's story and sadly we tease about that book at times. But, I'm glad she wrote it and it gives insight into the person that she is today.

I have always been a journal writer. Started way back in the 7th grade. It is interesting, hilarious, and embarrassing to read those journals from way back when. I was so dramatic about some of the most ridiculous things. Especially when I wrote about dating Randall in high school. We were such good kids, and truthfully I loved him as much as a 17 year old girl could, and yet I certainly didn't dare write those words in my journal. What if my mother or someone else had read it for heaven sakes!?! I'd like to think that this blog is now a journal of sorts. But I suddenly have the desire to do more. I have seen those books that ask you questions about your life and I think I will get one of those soon and start writing about my life. I'm not a gifted writer by any means but I've decided to embrace who I am and just go with it. I'd like to think that getting my memories down on paper will someday be a blessing to me and my children in years to come. And if nothing else this is one craving I can indulge in guilt free!

4 comments:

  1. Good idea. I have been thinking about doing that, too. I have 3x5 cards for when I get a "memory moment" I can write it down so I won't forget. Someone suggested carrying a little notebook where you can jot down something that pops into your mind. Grandma would be so pleased to know you enjoy her book.

    Three years ago I finally joined DUP (Daughters of UT Pioneers) which has been fun, and reading the histories Grandma compiled has
    given me the encouragement to get started on my own.

    I think I need to get your dad and our sisters together to talk about our growing up together. What's interesting is that each of us would look at an event with different perspectives because of our different ages at the time. I think it could be a lot of fun.

    I wish I had told my kids more stories about my family at bedtime through the years. Christmas morning this year, I told my kids and grandkids about the six-pack of Coke under the tree. They had been wondering why it was there! Whenever we went to our grandparents, William and Ethel Barrett, they would always ask, "Who wants a Coke?" Then they serve us cold Coke over ice in these little tumblers.
    Then I told my kids a little about these wonderful people, my grandparents.

    Can you imagine my history? Just like this post, talk, talk, talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Ash, you are a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! Let me know what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited for the post to have updates :) It is a wonderful idea and you are a FABULOUS writer.

    ReplyDelete