Friday, March 4, 2011

Terrible 3's

Her beautiful, blond locks...
I'm hoping this is her I feel really bad about what I did look.
Like the mullet?


Yesterday I was hoping to have a little "quiet time". Jane was a sleep and Kate was quietly watching a movie while I was upstairs reading. That is until Kate came upstairs with a handful of hair and said "My hair came off". While I know that most kids cut their hair at some point in their young life, none of mine ever have. Surprisingly I didn't really get upset. I think I was shocked that Kate was just calmly standing there with her hair in hand. I couldn't decide if not getting real upset was good or bad. Part of me thought maybe she was looking for a big reaction and didn't get it and that's good. But, part of me thought maybe I should get really mad so she would know how bad this really was. I walked her to her room for time out and she yelled, "I hate you Mom and Dad." I know she's 3 but boy do those words bother me. I don't remember ever saying that to my parents, at least not out loud :) My older kids have NEVER said that either, I'm not sure where Kate has picked that up, but it come up every once in a while. I made her stay in there for awhile and she ended up falling a sleep for a few hours. When she awakened we assessed the damage, and really it could have been a lot worse. While she cut off about 6 inches it wasn't at her scalp or anything like that. I looks kind of like she was cutting herself "bangs" on one side. She didn't cut all the way through so I did cut the little bit of strands under her "whack" and it's long enough to pull up into a rubber and so all in all I'm considering myself pretty lucky. I recently heard that it's the trying 2's and the terrible 3's. I couldn't agree more. Between hair cuts, mouthing off and jumping off the top bunk (twice) This 3 year old is giving us a run for our money.

6 comments:

  1. Just a part of growing up. I think of all the times I lost it and wish I could take that back. I think you have to look at things from a three year old perspective. They told us when we went on our mission that we couldn't put a mature head on a 19 year old body. That goes for every age. You are right, "it could have been worse".

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I hope you save Kate's hair as a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love the mustache pic. :) And second, you're right - it could have been so much worse! You can totally work with that. I did the same when I was three and my mom bawled like it was the most awful thing in the world. Except I ended up with one of those ugly bowl cuts that makes me cringe every time I see pictures from that time. :) Glad you were able to handle it okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hair is quite becoming on you, Ashli. I do think that 3 year olds are much more capable of mischief and trouble than two year olds, hands down. Our Kate just turned three today. Wish us luck. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She has always been your little spunky child :) I love her and you are lucky about her hair, It will grow fast and doesn't look bad at all. Long enough to still be able to do stuff with it. I love her pondering what she did picture, so cute. The mustache picture is probably my fav though!!! I am sorry about the "I hate you." Its so hard. I try to ignore it when I hear it so that they don't get the big reaction they are aiming for but I want to spank their bums cause its so not okay to say either (except every once in a while and it flat out makes me laugh). I love you little mischeous girl and am so excited to see her NEXT MONTH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahaha! Laughing out loud right now - at the stash pic, not the hair cutting fiasco! and dude - I've heard mullets are making a strong come back, even though hers hardly qualifies as a mullet!

    ReplyDelete