Tuesday, August 28, 2012

1st Day of School (x2)

August 21st was the first day of school for Ethan and Anna.  They were feeling anxious to get started but gypped by their measly 8 weeks of summer.
 As most kids do, Anna chose long pants and long sleeves from her new clothes stash.  I warned her she would be quite hot but, but she insisted, and she did look really cute and grown up.
 Ethan on the other hand wore old shorts and a clean shirt.  Typical for a boy of almost 10 years.
Walking to the bus stop

 As is often the case with the first day, the bus was at least 20 minutes late, so we waited and waited...
 Poor Ethan was feeling quite nervous by this time, especially with the longer wait and kept saying his stomache hurt.  At least it didn't stop him from eating his breakfast :)
 The moment has finally come and after kisses and hugs form both kids (thankfully they aren't too old for that...yet) they were off.  Admittedly it wasn't as hard for me to see them go as I thought it would be.  No tears were shed from any of us.  I think them being in school still feels very surreal and I think that in a few days they will be home like usual.

 So far school is going... hmmm well I guess.  Anna really likes her teacher and and Ethan likes his although he says she is strict about talking, to which I replied "good!"  They are both doing well, in fact Ethan comes home everyday saying how bored he is.  I'm worried about him a bit in that regard and we may have to look into some other options for him so he isn't so bored.  At back to school night his teacher said he is definitely in the top of the class and that he will be put in the gifted and talented program.  I'm sure that those East coast schools had nothing to do with it.  I'm hoping that it's just early yet and once they get into the real stuff he will be fine... I hope.

Anna is also doing well and every paper she brought home had a 100% on it.  She even got an excellent for her behavior, but was upset that it wasn't superior!
______________________________________________________________________________
 Today was the big day for Kate to start Kindergarten.  Again this just doesn't seem possible so again I was surprisingly quite un-emotional about it.  She has only been gone 50 minutes, so while right now I'm excited about all I can do in the afternoons while she is gone and Jane is napping, I'm sure that it won't be long and I will be missing her and feeling like it's pretty darn quiet around here.
 No surprise that Kate was nothing but ready.  I'm so glad we didn't hold her back even though she will be the very youngest in her class.  She was not nervous one bit!  Last night when I went to put her to bed I found that she had laid her clothes out for today.  She even had her back pack laid out with the arms of the shirt through the straps.  Her teacher is teaching for the very first time this year and I've felt a bit hesitant about her and her personality, not knowing whether she's a great fit for a kindergarten teacher.  I decided though that I can only offer any help and try to have a great attitude and hope that the teacher and Kate have a great first year together.
 Kate is really lucky that our very next door neighbor (the boy above) is also in the same class and obviously rides the same bus.  They are really good little friends and I'm so grateful they will have each other.  There is also another cute little girl from church that is in their class, so I'm sure Kate will be fine.
Waiting for the bus

Looking a bit nervous and reflective

Nail biting-I've never seen her do this before...

There they go!

"Bye Mom!"

Off she goes...

Ok, now I'm starting to feel a little bit sad.

Good luck kids!  I know you will all three do and learn amazing things!


3 comments:

  1. Crazy that our kiddos are growing up! They all looked great on their first day of school! Your descriptions of Ethan's clothes made me laugh because my boys would have done the same thing (and probably not have matched). Hopefully you can figure out a good fit for him. I would call Reagan and ala just to see about their waiting lists because they do leveled everything and so he wouldn't be bored (at least in math and reading). good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that kindergarten bus! Your kids all looked great and I'm glad the first day went well! I'm curious to hear about what you decided with Ethan and the school change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where does the time go? The children all looked so nice and polished. Children are mostly happier to be with friends and have things to do and learn as long as they like their teacher and don't have someone driving them crazy in their class. Other than that, onward!

    ReplyDelete