Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My name is Ashli I'm 34 years old

 How embarrassing!  I put some random picture of myself up here, but this is me at 34 years old.  I had a birthday last Thursday making that little fact official.  And while I don't particularly like pictures of myself I realize how rarely a picture is taken of me and that I need to document that I am in fact a part of my family and our journey.  Anyway...
 A few weeks ago Randall called from work and said he had to go to Vegas for work and I should come with him. He thought it would make a great birthday gift a few days early.   I think it was Wednesday and we would leave Monday.  I'm not really all that spontaneous, don't really love Vegas, and was hesitant to ask anyone to watch our kiddos.  Thankfully my parents were more than happy to watch the kids so I decided why not?
 We flew into Vegas late Monday night and were starving so we ordered some room service.  Hey we are on vacation right?
 The next day Rand had meetings form 8am to 8pm and then a work dinner that I tagged along for, until late into the night.  So, while I was sad that I wouldn't really be seeing Randall anytime during this trip, it was heaven to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.
 In fact it was rather comical the debate I would have with myself.  "Should I nap?  Should I site see?  I should get in as much as possible while I can, when I can do anything I want...  But, I'm alone and I can have a quiet nap, and sleep as long as I want too?!"
 So I got up and went to the gym for 90 minutes so I could eat what I wanted too, and I truthfully enjoy working out.  I went to the pool for a few hours, read a book, took a short nap, watched cupcakes wars on TV in my room, walked around a lot to the different hotels, and ate blueberry and lemon crepes in "Paris".  All. by. myself.  It was lovely.
 The only thing that would have made it better was if I we were really in Europe, and Randall wasn't working.


 My favorite thing about Vegas is the fountains at the Bellagio hotel.  Sadly I think they were broken because one afternoon I sat and sat and waited and waited... and they never happened.  I googled when I should expect them and still waited and again...nothing.  I was super disappointed, but what do you do?  Wednesday Rand had meetings again until our flight left so I was alone to do as I wanted.  We were home by Wednesday night, the kids had a great time, my parents did great, it was a nice quick get away, and the perfect birthday gift.
 On my real birthday Randall made me breakfast before work, then, I had invited my Mom and Kate to go to lunch.  We went to Los Hermanos because I still have not had my fill of Mexican having gone without in Jersey for so long.
 It was a really nice lunch and it was weird to think how grown up Kate has become.  She just sat happily coloring her paper and talking once in awhile.  Because of Kate's and my birthdays we got free fried ice cream and it was delicious.  Are you sensing a theme here?  Me and food are BFF's.

I LOVE this picture of the 3 of us.  
 I had a great birthday and felt very loved and spoiled with calls, texts and several friends dropping by unexpectedly with little gifts or goodies.  It was a really nice day.
 On Friday Rand was worried I would feel sad that we didn't go to dinner or do any cake or anything so we made plans to go out with some friends of ours from grad school.  We were going to suggest In and Out for dinner, but they suggested Sundance so how could we say no to that?
It was a gorgeous and cool night.  We ate outside on the porch and enjoyed catching up with our friends until late.  I couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this. What a fabulous extended birthday. You totally deserve it. And you are freaking hot. Like, drop. dead. gorgeous. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great birthday week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Vegas trip looks perfect! Yummy food, naps, a good book, alone time.... mmmmm, sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete