Thursday, August 16, 2012

Overwhelmed

I'm hesitant to write this because I may sound just a bit dramatic, but it's my blog and my journal so here it goes....

I'm feeling overwhelmed because our Summer this year has been 1 month shorter than normal due to our move and getting out of school so late in Jersey and starting so early here.  That means we've had just 8 weeks to pack in whatever we could for fun, and get settled into life as we know it here.

The kids start school on the 21st in just 5 days!  That is also Kate's 5th birthday and also Ethan's 1st football game that he's been practicing weeks for. Then 2 days later it's my birthday and back to school night, yippee!  Then 6 days later it's Ethan's birthday and his 2nd football game of the season.

I've been looking forward to school starting not because I'm sick of the kids or anything like that.  I just like being busy, but with structure and a schedule.  The only problem is this first week of school is looking like a doozy.  I really wanted to throw a party for Kate but have decided against it because it would really just be inviting kids from her church class that she really doesn't care all that much about etc.  It would be thrown together just because and that's not how I roll.  I want it to be planned and nice or not at all. Is that bad?  She won't know any different because she has never had a birthday party so one more year won't kill her.  The only reason I really wanted to do a party for her this year is because we alternate years of family and friend parties, so if I did a party for her this year I would only have one party to throw next year for Ethan's "friend" year and not 2 within a week of each other.  Even that little fact wasn't convincing me.

I just went out of town on a whim with Rand on business to Vegas for a few days and it was really nice to get away and basically be "alone" since he worked all day and into the night so I really was all alone.  I enjoyed it and I'm really glad I went, only now I feel like I'm in panic mode.  Rand also had a trip to NYC planned, leaving this Sunday and that was cancelled today, thank goodness!  I wasn't sure I wanted to do the first day of school and birthday possibly alone.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the first day of school fun and exciting for the older two since Kate being in Kindergarten doesn't start until a week later, thank heavens.  But... then how do I make it a day that Kate feels like is her big day?

I know I'm blowing all of this out of proportion and none of this is earth shattering but it's where I'm at none the less.  Also, to add insult to injury, quite literally, one of Jane's teeth she injured in her accident in April is dying....  I don't know if its the mom in me or the dental hygienist or both, but I'm kind of sad about it.  I know it's just a tooth but it will be a lot of years with a black tooth and she may still loose it if it decides to abcess.  We shall see.  (on a side note Ethan just lost his second to last baby tooth, how is that possible, that he could be in braces in a matter of months and he's not quite 10?!)

Phew, I feel better already.  I told a friend of mine today that if I were a runner I would most definitely be out on a run right now.  Since I'm not a runner,  I've roped a friend into going on a walk with me when the boys get home from football practice.   Wish us luck in the next week, or two.

1 comment:

  1. Your feelings are completely understandable! I am feeling overwhelmed too and I don't have 3 birthday this month on top of all the craziness! I wanted to do all these fun things and try to create fun memories and I think failed in that. I love that you are worried about Kates party because it wouldn't be "nice." I love you, my perfectionist friend :) Last year, Bren was so set on a party that 2 days before his birthday, I sent a fb message to people and we did it at the park. haha honestly, the park was fantastic though. I am trying to get out of it this year though! Good luck this week!!!

    ReplyDelete