Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vegas Baby!

This morning Randall called a taxi to go to the airport and a big black SUV showed up in front of our place. I wasn't sure if it was the royal treatment or if he was being expedited to another country!

That's right Rand has left and is on his way to Vegas...for 8 days. Now I realize that some woman are single mothers for years and years, and some woman's husbands travel constantly but I can still give myself permission to be a little bit sad. I guess it's good news that I really like my husband!

I think the reason this trip bothers me more than other trips he's been on is because it's 8 days in what I think is the height of the Christmas season. That and now that he is gone I really do feel kind of all alone here.

I know it's dumb but now I'm feeling stressed. I somehow feel like I need to make the next 8 days absolutely fantastic. Filled with fun activities, treats and movies galore. Maybe it's for me to help pass the time. Maybe I'm feeling like by the time he gets back my parents will practically be on their way and then Christmas will come and go and suddenly before I can blink, it will all be over. The holidays I mean. And let's face it, I'm not alone in saying I definitely suffer from the post holiday blues. In fact New years Eve is often my most down day of the year. So now with just 15 days left until Christmas it's crunch time and all that keeping it simple has been great but I'm feeling the panic to make sure that this Christmas is a memorable one. Not just for my kids but for my parents too. It's so sweet of them to be with just us this year. Now is the year to have our own Christmas Eve and Christmas with new traditions. Except now that the possibilities are endless it's all feeling a tad overwhelming.

Ok, I need to just take a deep breath and count to ten. The next 8 days are going to be awesome!

3 comments:

  1. man, Serge only has to be gone for 4 days to this Vegas thing...and I'm upset enough about that! I'm not a good single mom at all. Maybe if I planned some fun activities it would make the days go by faster...but so far I don't have anything fun planned for the girls to do, it's more of a "lets just make it through the next 4 days." Good Luck on your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when Nils leaves for trips. I think the same thing as you, about how so many women do it on their own and I'm just a wimp, but it's still hard for me. Good luck with everything. I find that 'movie nights' with my kids work wonders. Pop some popcorn, make some cookies, watch a movie and we're golden. So, there's my helpful suggestion for one whole evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who plans business meetings this time of year?! So not fair for you moms. I hope the next week goes by quickly, but not too quickly that you don't get to do fun, simple, yet memorable things. :)

    ReplyDelete