Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Big Girl, short decision


Last night at dinner I once again reminded Anna that her hair was in her plate. This happens frequently. When it comes time to comb her hair it isn't always pleasant trying to get out the syrup, spaghetti, and whatever else she has in there. Thankfully having her hair done is one thing she tolerates very well.I was shocked when last night after her bath she told me she wanted to cut her hair. I asked her how much, and at first she said "like this", pointing to just below her shoulder. I was surprised but was fine and then she said "actually like this", pointing to her jaw! I was shocked. Anna loves her long hair. She really has beautiful hair and we have a lot of fun doing it in all sort of different "do's". In the picture below we are showing off our recent "do" of sock bun curls. The easiest and latest way of no heat curls. It's all the trend :)
I was looking though some pictures the other night and remembered seeing some from when Anna's hair went from long to short. It was very soon after she started wearing glasses when she was 3 years old, that I decided she needed a little hair around her face so you didn't just see her huge eyes and big GLASSES.

This is I just woke up picture so not the greatest example, and you can see her eyes crossing but it really is cute on her short. Anna asked me as we did her hair this morning if she could have it cut today. Her only concern was that she didn't want the appointment to interrupt her recess. :)
The fun part of all of this is I think she has enough that she could donate her 10inches or so, to Locks of Love. With my Mom being a 2 time cancer survivor and full time wig wearer it makes her losing her locks to a good cause very worth while.

I don't know why a hair cut is feeling like such a big deal. I think it makes me realize once again how old my kids are becoming when they make decisions like this all on their own. Thankfully these decisions are just little things that bear no consequence. Even Ethan the last little while has insisted on having "long" hair and truthfully I do not like it. He is so handsome with his hair off his face and out of his eyes, but I have to choose my battles and let them exert their independence somehow. I think I'm realizing this may be the last time that I get to braid and do Anna's hair adding big ribbons and little girl things. I guess it wouldn't be long anyway and she would be too old for all that I guess. Sigh... Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. She is darling both way. I am sure you will love it short and soon enough it will be long again. I think I was in 5th grade the first time I really really chopped mine and I have gone back and forth between long and short ever since. Its fun to have options :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hair really is beautiful, but short is so cute, too. I'd love it if Addie wanted a haircut. She wants it long, but hates it when I try to do anything fancy to it, the little stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious to see a final picture of the haircut. The video of her hair being cut just almost is too much. I'm sure she will look cute but I am happy I will have a little time to get used to the idea before we see you. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what happened to my comment but I will try again. Anna's haircut is quite a shock. I think it is great it was long enough to donate. Can't wait to see a new picture.

    ReplyDelete