Monday, February 13, 2012

We've got spirit-no we don't!

This week Kate was invited to a Valentine Tea Party with a little girl from the ward. She was so excited! It was one of those times I almost wish I hadn't told her about it until the morning of. As soon as the invitation was opened she was asking every ten minutes, "Is it today? How many sleeps? Is it today?" I was going a little bit crazy but glad that she had something so fun to look forward to. She want to be sure to wear a dress because that is obvious tea party attire.
On another note, last week at the elementary school was "spirit week". What does dressing up with weird themes have to do with school spirit? I don't know and I don't care. Actually, I hate it. Every day it was just more tears and craziness. I guess I'm realizing that I am not a fun person. I think wearing pajamas to school is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I think it's gross, and weird and frumpy and well weird. I was never one of those people that wore pajamas in high school or college, or ...to Walmart(I had to add that one). I insisted after pajama day that Anna wash her pajamas even though I had freshly washed them so she could wear them to school in the first place. She could not understand why I would need to do that. She figured she was already for bed so why change from 1 set of pajamas to another. I told her I had just washed her sheets that day and was not about to have her sleep in her clothes/pajamas from school that she had played in outside, sat in the lunch room, who knows what, then into her clean sheets.
Then there was "wacky" day. Which in my mind wacky is synonymous with weird. I actually thought this day might be kind of fun so I had a hair-do in mind for Anna. I started doing it and it was just too "wacky" for her liking. I asked her what she wanted instead and she said two braids that are braided differently. Well, that's pretty darn wacky! Can you tell my kids are control freaks just like me? So in my craziness and with it being wacky day and all I took it upon myself when doing her braids to put one high and one low. When Anna realized what I had done, it wasn't pretty. She completely fell apart. Apparently too wacky, yet again. I had to time her out for all of her screaming. After she finally calmed down with barely enough time to eat, I pulled the higher pony tail down to make it "at the same level", at Anna's request, but then all that did in her mind was make that braid loser. Basically by the time the kids left the house at 8am I was ready to crawl back in bed and call it a day. I had even pulled Ethan's hair up into 4 little ponytails in the middle to make it a mohawk. He was really nervous about it but went with it. When he came home though he told me that every body just thought he looked either like a girl or a baby.
We also had a era's day where they could dress up and that one wasn't too painful thankfully. The last day was swap day where the kids dressed like adults and the adults kids. Anna was So excited for this. She wanted to dress up like her teacher Mrs. W. I think she really just wanted to wear make up.
I knew her eyelashes were long but boy are they LONG! She looked so pretty after she stopped crying from me curling her lashes with the eye lash curler as requested. The funniest part of that day was the shirt she had picked out as her adult shirt was a glittery girl ballerina. Finally with a little convincing she wore a white collared shirt and an argyle sweater. Did I mention I hate spirit week? Most exhausting week ever.
One more picture of Kate with her valentine invite that she carried with her for days. She came home from the party with a helium balloon, drew a picture on it and it has been her best friend ever since.

2 comments:

  1. the things that wear us out! I think Anna should wear mascara every day--jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha your lack of spirit cracks me up! Your school goes all out. We have crazy hair day but thats as wild as we get. We get things like crazy sock day, sports day (wear a jersey or something sports related), and decades day (basically an excuse for free dress). I love how excited Kate was for her party! She looks very cute for it and I think she looks like you! And holy moly on Anna's eyeslashes! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete