Monday, February 13, 2012

Our Day Today

This is usually what miss Jane looks like lately. Pig tails, tights. On this day she even picked out the skirt to wear over her tights. We already have a fashionista on our hands.
Instead this is us at the doctor this morning. Her sleeping and with fever. Bummer. Poor baby was sick a month ago and they thought it was strep and it wasn't. Today they thought it was strep, but it isn't... so they are going to do some more testing, because she is so sick just like last month and yet...nothing. I'm not all antibiotic happy or anything but it's so frustrating when my kids are never sick but she really hasn't been well all month and hasn't slept through the night in over a month, which isn't happy for any of us :)
On a happier note, while Jane was napping today I helped Kate address her class valentines. I was so excited about it because...
I tricked her into writing her name, wait for it...24 times! So that in and of itself is quite a feat for a 4 year old, but for Kate that is really huge. Kate is a funny little girl who draws all day long. She is so extremely creative and artistic. The things she thinks up to make and draw are amazing. I used to be so nervous about making sure I exposed our kids to the right things to make sure they found their niche and made sure they got to do what they were meant to do. Then Kate came along and it is clear to me that if they really have a love or a talent for something, it will probably just happen.

Anyway, Kate can write letters and if you play a game with her she knows all her letters, BUT if you just say what is this letter? She tells you she has no idea. She just won't do it. She can spell her name out loud and even write the letters on paper, but for the life of me until today she would not write them in order. It was always some funky pattern. Today I thought I would just give it a try and see how far she went. First I just asked her to write a k on a paper, then I asked her to write one K on a valentine, then another and another, you get the drift until she had written JUST the K on every valentine. I was pretty surprised she was happy to sit there that long and do it, but i thought I would try for the A, and sure enough she did that. Then T, and then with the E she always writes KatE with a capitol E so we practiced the lower case e several times but she wasn't having that so I just let her do the upper case and sure enough after about 4 E's she switched and started writing the lower case e. It was in a really weird backward way but she did it. I think her name looks great, and now she gets how to do it correctly left to right all in order. I'm so excited! I was sure she was going to be in remedial Kindergarten :)

2 comments:

  1. Poor Jane! I had no idea this was all going on! I am sorry. What are her symptoms? Could it be a sinus infection? I am so glad they are doing more tests to figure out what it is! Good luck! And way to go on getting Kate to do all her valentines! I love her handwritting. Brennen won't even attempt to write one letter of his name. I seriously don't know what to do about it. luckily he has another year of preschool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that Jane is breaking my heart. I hope you both get a sound night's sleep tonight. And Linley was exactly the same way. She was such a brat about her letters. Then one day she just snapped out of it. Good thing too, because I was about to snap her. Into a million pieces. Just kidding. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete